Friday, April 2, 2010

the infinite book....

Over the past week I've been making this little number.....


It's a booklet - coptic bound with a twist to form a mobius strip (of sorts!) It's constructed from a 1984 World Book Encyclopaedia Year Book (one of my many encyclopaedia year books)..... I chose 1984 as it was my last year of high school (geeeez now you'll all guess my age!) and in 1984 of course George Orwell's novel 'Nineteen-eighty-four' was one of the set texts for the NSW Higher School Certificate English exams (I still endure rat nightmares!)..... but at that time the future still seemed far away and full of endless possibilities .......

ahhhhhh but now, as I'm doing a bit of a life stock-take I see that my journey thus far tends to resemble a mobius strip - the odd little twist, turning inside to outside (or outside to inside) around and around the same old ground we go...... (ahhhh scheeez, I think I'm getting too filo-sof-i-cal for a good friday night...... it's only a fun little book-type form after all.....)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the good old World Book! My favourites were the ones with the transparency overlays - human anatomy and such, I think.
    Poor kids today have no such resources, they just hop online. How deprived! (Really showing my age now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ronnie, your book was waiting in a huge pile of mail when I came back from NZ - it is just beautiful. Thank you so much. I'm completely overawed by these wonderful books - it has been (and for me still is, as I'm not finished making mine yet) a really great experience. I love the way you've set up your blog, I think it really works. I'm about to leave again for about a week, only a couple of days home and not enough time to do anything really, but once home again I'll be head down and tail up, and my books will be finished.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx